Sunday, January 9, 2011

Oatmeal-Chocolate Chip-Cranberry Cookies

I've been craving sugar like crazy lately - over Christmas, I consumed thousands of calories (tens of thousands?) of Ghiradelli Filled Chocolate Squares, Toblerone bars, and my mom's amazing peppermint brownie things (which I believe to be laced with crack because they are that addictive). Since my insane desire for all things sweet seems to be ever increasing and I have no desire to either a) weigh 500 lbs or b) slip into a diabetic coma, I decided to bake a "healthier cookie" today. And the cookies that I came up with are totally delicious, so delicious in fact that I am blogging about them after almost a year of blogging about cooking (despite the fact that I cook every single day)!

So here goes ...

Oatmeal-Chocolate Chip-Cranberry Cookies, loosely adapted from the back of the Craisins package (which is totally a phrase I never expected to write)

Makes 30 cookies (121 calories each, 5.9 grams of fat, 2.0 grams of protein, 7.1 grams of sugar, 1.1 grams of dietary fiber)

2/3 cup unsalted butter chopped into chunks (approximately 1 stick plus 1/4 of a stick)
2/3 cup dark brown sugar
2 eggs
2 tsp vanilla
1 1/2 cup old-fashioned oatmeal
1 1/2 cup white flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cinnamon
1 Tbs flax meal (optional)
2/3 cup Craisins or other dried cranberries
2/3 cup Nestle semi-sweet chocolate chips

1. Preheat oven to 375
2. Using a Kitchenaid or other mixer, mix the butter and sugar until smooth-ish.
3. Add eggs, vanilla, and cinnamon to butter/sugar and mix until smooth.
4. In a regular mixing bowl, stir together the flour, oats, salt, baking soda, salt, and flax meal.
5. With your mixing running, slowly add the dry ingredients into the wet until combined.
6. Use a wooden spoon, add the craisins and chocolate chips into the mix stirring until well distributed.
7. Drop cookies onto an ungreased baking sheet and bake for 11 minutes.

These cookies don't have a ton of butter, so they stay the same shape as when dropped. They are pretty chewy and not that sweet. (Pictures forthcoming)



















No comments:

Post a Comment